If you happened to grow up playing Minecraft, you’ll know that it’s a magnificent game in which you can let your imagination run wild. Even if you’ve never played this sandbox game before, chances are you’re aware of the creative freedom that this game allows for.
While Minecraft itself enables you to create anything from a small wooden village to an entire concrete jungle, simply adding mods can improve your overall experience in the game. Not only can modifications completely change the way your game looks, but they can also change how you interact with the world around you. But how exactly do you add mods to Minecraft?
Even though the process varies depending on the device you use, our guide will allow you to install and use mods in no time. But before we start discussing how to install mods for Minecraft, let’s take a look at what they are and if they are safe to use.
Related: Best Minecraft Shaders
What Are Minecraft Mods?
As with any other game modification, the ones available for Minecraft are there to improve your overall experience in the game. Not only can they improve the graphics, making Minecraft appear more realistic, but they can also change how the game behaves altogether. Sure, you could just download and play Minecraft without using any mods. But installing them for a game that came out ten years ago makes everything feel fresh and almost brand new.
Are Minecraft Mods Safe?
Generally speaking, Minecraft mods are extremely safe so long as you get them from reputable sources. If you’re unsure as to whether or not a website is safe, then we suggest looking on the official Minecraft Forum website or even Reddit. If you do end up downloading a mod from an unsafe website, then you could risk getting a virus or even ruining your copy of the game. This is exactly why you should completely avoid downloading Minecraft mods from unknown websites and new forum users.
Now that you know how safe mods truly are, it’s time to unleash your wildest imagination and make Minecraft much more enjoyable. Let’s begin our guide with a simple step-by-step on how to install mods in Minecraft on your gaming PC.
How to Install Mods in Minecraft Using Forge (PC)
While there are a variety of different ways to install Minecraft mods, one of the safest and most popular ways to do it is by using Forge. If you don’t know anything about Forge, it’s essentially an open-source modding API used to install Minecraft modifications. Sound too complicated?
Don’t worry, using it is actually very simple.
How to Download Forge (1.14.4)
If you don’t already have Forge downloaded, then you’re going to need to download it onto your PC. On the other hand, if you already have an older version of Forge downloaded, then you must make sure that there are no modifications in the “mods” folder. If you do, Forge simply won’t load.
- Head over to the official Forge website
- Click on the “Installer” icon found under “Download Latest (1.14.4 – 28.1.96)”
- Wait for the advertisement timer to run out and then click “Skip” in the top right-hand corner
- Wait for Forge to finish downloading
- Open the file and click on Install Client
- Launch Minecraft and head to the profiles drop-down menu
- Click on the Forge profile
How to Install a Mod for Minecraft Using Forge
Now that you have Forge downloaded onto your computer, it’s time to start installing mods for Minecraft. Here’s how to do it using Forge:
- Download a mod compatible with your current version of Forge and Minecraft
- Find the folder containing the mod. For this step, we highly recommend creating a separate “mods” folder
- Copy the file (.zip or .jar) and head to the Minecraft folder on your computer
- On Windows hit the WIN key + R, paste “%appdata%\.minecraft\” into the field and hit OK
- Paste the mod file into the “mods” subfolder
- Open the Minecraft Launcher and click on the Forge profile
- Click on the green Play button
- Click on the Mods button to check if the mod was properly installed
How to Install Minecraft Mods on Other Platforms: Console and Mobile
If you prefer to play Minecraft on a console or mobile, or even host it on a server then you may have come across something known as an “add-on”. These are essentially modifications that can be purchased from the official Minecraft store. The thing is, compared to the Java version of Minecraft, there aren’t many add-ons to choose from.
With that being said, you will be able to find a range of different worlds, skins and texture packs available to purchase for your version of the game.
- Open up Minecraft on console or mobile
- Click on the Store button
- Find an add-on that you fancy adding to the game
- If you have enough Minecoins, click Unlock. If you don’t, you will have to purchase some
By doing something as simple as adding modifications to Minecraft, you can improve your gaming experience for the better. This is exactly why we have created this step-by-step guide on how to install mods for Minecraft on PC, console, and mobile. With that being said, you must remember to only download Minecraft modifications from reputable sources. If you don’t, then you could risk getting a virus or even ruining your game.
Fancy learning more about this open-world sandbox game? Then you may be interested in learning how to download maps in Minecraft. By following this guide, you’ll be able to play in a variety of different fun and exciting worlds.