World of Warcraft (WoW) has been around for years and still remains extremely popular. Since its release in November of 2004 World of Warcraft has had 8 major expansion packs, with the latest being released in 2020. A popular feature of WoW is arenas which are areas where teams of players can compete against each other in PvP matches. The only goal in arenas is to wipe out the other team. Arena matches can be either 2 versus 2 or 3 versus 3 and maybe played in skirmish mode which doesn’t affect your rating, or in rated mode. The outcome of arena matches in rated mode will be reflected in your personal rating and matchmaking rating.
WoW attracts a lot of people who enjoy the arena PvP matches and they are always looking for different ways to improve their skills. The following are 11 of the best tips to improve your WoW arena PvP skills:
- Choose a class and stick to it: Different classes have different strengths. Choose a class and specialization and stick with it. Learn the strengths and weaknesses of the character and become proficient with it. Don’t keep changing to a different class because you aren’t doing well initially. It takes time to build up your skills for any class. If you are constantly changing classes you won’t become good at any of them.
- Get your initial experience in the PvE environment: PvE or Player vs Environment are things such as dungeons, raids, completing quests, and scenarios. Basically, it is anything that isn’t PvP. This is where you will learn your basic game skills. New players should definitely not jump into arena PvP matches until they are soundly versed in the basics of the game.
- Have the right equipment. Having the right equipment is essential when playing Arena PvP. Good players with poor equipment will generally lose against those less skilled but who have much better gear. To get better equipment players will have to spend a lot of time in dungeons and on raids. That can become tedious if what you want to be doing is competing in arena PvP, but it is sometimes necessary. Players have been known to take a shortcut and hire a boosting service to gain equipment for them. A WoW Mythic Dungeon boost will gain the player using the service all the rewards and level gear that would come with completing the dungeon successfully themselves.
- Learn as much as you can about WoW: There is a lot of knowledge about WoW arena PvP to take in if you want to play at a higher level. You will need to learn things like the best way to allocate points when developing your talent tree, your team composition’s strengths and weaknesses as well as the strength and weaknesses of your opponent’s composition, offensive, and defensive cooldowns, and much more. You can pick up a lot through practice. Another useful source of information is the WoW Wiki site. The more you know about the game the better you will perform.
- Start playing Wow PvP in Skirmish mode: Playing in skirmish mode is much more relaxed than playing in rated mode. This is a good way to get some PvP experience without worrying about your rating. It is easier to learn when you are more relaxed. Eventually, you will have to start playing in rated mode to get better and advance but skirmish is just fine for newer players.
- Use keybinds. Binding the abilities you use the most to different keys and using them that way is much faster than clicking with a mouse once you get used to it. You should bind to keys that you can easily reach with your left hand since you don’t want to be searching and reaching for the necessary key when you have to react quickly. Keybinding may be awkward at first but once you play with it for a while you will find yourself performing much better.
- Find/form a team: One of the best ways to improve your skills is to start playing with the same group of people on a regular basis. If you have a regular group of friends who play, form a team with them, or you could join a guild. There is an in-game tab for Guilds and Communities that you can use to look for players on a similar level who are also looking for a team. Chances are you won’t be dominating the arena right away but as you play together more often you will improve.
- Communicate with your team: You need to develop effective communication with your teammates if you expect to perform well. Talk before matches to develop strategies and how you will approach the match. Voice communication during the match will help. Discuss what was done right and wrong after the match and how you can improve. Good communication produces good results.
- Review Gameplay: If you have the setup for it, it can be extremely useful to review matches. You are much more likely to pick up on mistakes when watching a recording of the match. Trying to review a match in your head is difficult as it is hard to remember everything that happened during the course of gameplay. Watching your match replays will definitely help you get better.
- Use add-ons. Add-ons like damage meters, rotation aids, and UI-modifiers can definitely improve your performance in arena PvP. They won’t automatically make you an instant success but they will definitely help.
- Use Macros: Macros are a way for you to perform more than one action at a time using only a single click. If you want to play WoW at a higher level, using macros is essential. Players can make their own macros or they can be found online
Hopefully, these tips will help up your WoW PvP performance. Ultimately the best way to improve your skills at WoW arena PvP is to practice and lots of it.